Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My Halloween Class Lesson

Halloween is my favorite.
the evidence--
1.  I usually have about 3 different costumes.
2.  The last two years of college my roommates and I had sweet costume parties complete with my delicious red wine cider, tons of candles, creepy decorations- like a Freddy Krugar that was on our bathroom door until we moved out, and solid halloween music- with the start of the playlist just being sounds like creaky doors, bats and cackles.
3.  My mom got me into it because it's her favorite holiday.  I always had the best costumes growing up because she would hand make them ((my gold belle dress from beauty & the beast was extraordinary).  Also, everyone wanted to trick or treat at my house because my dad would put on a ridiculously realistic and terrifying old man mask and my mom would be a spooky witch and the porch had crazy jars of weird stuff labeled "toad's feet", "witch's hair"--- with stuff inside to feel! of course with music playing and scary jack-o-lanterns all over.

yyyeah.
well, halloween doesn't exist in France.
So it clearly makes for perfect subject matter from an American teacher.

So, because I have my first two week vacation starting this Friday- I am not going to have my classes the last week of October.

Therefore, this week I am dedicating one lesson in each class solely to Halloween.

Today I had my 10 year olds from 8:30 to 9:15.  We started out with picture flashcards of a bat, black cat, skeleton, witch and ghost.

Then we sang this song that I found online.
"Witches, witches, skeletons and bats
Scary ghosts and big black cats
Wooohh, woooh what a fright
It's scary, scary on halloween night"

Which they loved.  Then we did a word search with the vocabulary- even throwing in "pumpkin".

Here comes the best part--

At the end, I played "purple people eater" and "monster mash".

&&&
showed this picture of myself two halloweens ago



From their faces it seemed like they were a mixture of scared/confused, some even jealous that they can't get away with this type of behavior in France.

They think I'm a little out of my mind.  But, I'm just trying to keep things authentic.

3 comments:

  1. Petey!! I'm LOVING that you post in this blog all the time. Also, I've been bragging about your famous Halloween wine cider and need that recipe! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahah i love this. i miss our halloween parties!!! ahh i was reminiscing about the amazing mulled wine

    ReplyDelete