Saturday, March 26, 2011

Delicious Raclette

Two weeks ago, my French friend Mélanie took me along to a weekend excursion in Normandy. It was her friend Elsa's birthday and there were a lot of people my age there. It was interesting, fun and refreshing. But quite frankly it was slightly overwhelming. I think half of the people thought I didn't speak French at all so they didn't approach me and the other half wanted to know about New York. It's ok- it was an experience and my friend Mél is great fun, so there you go.

Well, well, well. We got to Elsa's house in Normandy on Friday night. People started to trickle in and the table was being set, set with these big grill sort of appliances. Then, a ton of cheese, charcuterie (assorted cooked meat), and various veggies were put out. I was informed that this is called a Raclette.

This was like fondue only more French (ok, technically it is Swiss). You put the cheese, which is actually called "Raclette" itself, into a little dish on the heat and when it is melted you scrape it onto your plate and eat it with whatever you want - some potatoes, gherkins, prosciutto, etc. You can even get fancy and put some things in with the cheese on the grill. The name actually comes from the French verb "racler", meaning "to scrape".




I am all about dinners that take a while and allow for some lingering and chatter. How disappointing is it when you set the table and then clear it 10 minutes later?
Everyone, look into this and add that appliance onto your christmas list for next year.

Have a nice Saturday, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment