Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Le Tréport

There are three main train lines that go through Beauvais. The first goes to Paris. The second goes to a town called Creil which I was at for a little bit in April while waiting for another train. It had a nice outside market but not a whole lot else. Then, there is a train that goes to Le Tréport, a seaside town in Normandy.

I figured I would give it a go this last weekend being that basically everyone else has left Beauvais (because I got assigned a longer work contract) and also that well, yeah, Beauvais is nice and all but sometimes I've gotta bust out if you know what I'm saying.

I got up early and got a 9am train. I read about Scarlett O'Hara's absurd life on the way.
I got to the town at around 11:30.

At first glance, I knew I was going to have a good solid peaceful day in this town.

I found a cafe and had a coffee while looking at the ocean and listening to a cute old guy play the accordion. I love accordions. They're fantastic. I threw the man a 50 cent euro piece (almost 71 cents in dollars I will have you know).
After that, I strolled along the English Channel. I found some pretty back roads, a church, and some gorgeous mosaics and murals.

Then, I ate a sandwich near the lighthouse.

Later on, I paid some money to take a boat ride around the area. It was really choppy and there was a cute dog on board with us that I thought was going to jump in the whole time- but it was a good time. I took some pictures of strangers that asked me to and then I awkwardly took this picture of myself (hey, no one offered to return the favor).

After the little excursion on the water, I found some cool shops. I was chatting with one store owner who was really nice- who for some reason was telling me how her daughter lives in Versailles and is studying to be an architect. It was a little out of no where but I went with it because maybe she was lonely and had no one else to tell it to. I then bought a necklace and a pair of earrings that are GORGEOUS for just 15 euros total. not bad.

I then explored the cliffs of the area by taking a cable car up. It was really calm and pretty at the top and I hung out there for a bit. The view of the water was so beautiful. I was thinking and I came to the conclusion that I really miss the ocean. I need to swim in it a lot this summer at home I decided. I need people who also like to swim (anyone, anyone?) - I always want to stay in longer than everyone else and it kind of stinks being alone in the ocean. You know? Plus, there is no one to call over or under with when a big wave comes. hahahaha. Is it weird that I still like to do that?
ahem.
ANYWAYSsss,
At the end of the day, before catching the train- I sat down at a cozy spot and got some moules frites (that's mussels with fries for all the american folk reading this). It was delicious. I got it with a Leffe beer (belgian, one of my favorites), and minus the guy at the next table over who talked too much and ordered an ice cream sundae for his dog- it was a nice meal.

I got on the train around 5. I was in a car with two of the cutest and most affectionate couples in the world. I couldn't decide if they were charming or annoying, but I soon fell asleep and it no longer mattered.

So, it was a good day in Le Tréport. I am sort of loving all of this alone time I have these days. Let's hope that sentiment continues as I have over around two months left of it.

Oh and just a quick shout-out, my best friend, Steen, or Squirrel as I have endearingly called her since forever, turns 23 tomorrow. I LOVE YOU SQUIRREL! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! xoxox

.ciao for now bellas/ bellos.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful Sara, you are living my dream. I love hearing your stories of travel. Enjoy the rest of your time, it's an experience of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Janice! Wish you were here! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete