Monday, January 10, 2011

"It's Grandfather!"

I just got back from having 3 classes this morning. We started "The Family" this week. I made some pretty funny (and actually kind of good) flashcards with pictures of sister, brother, mother, father, grandmother & grandfather.

With my 8 year olds, we started off with the standard flashcard drill and then we played a memory game, which they LOVE. We say "Close your eyes" and then "Open your eyes" and then "What is missing!?!?".

At the end of that there was a little more than 5 minutes left. I whipped out a book to read but they all quickly shouted out that we had already read it. CRAP, I thought. So, I came up with a little game on the spot.

I wrote "Who is it?" on the board and then "It's...". I picked on someone to help me show what we were going to do. First I told the student to knock on the blackboard. Then I said "Hello!" And they say it back. Then I say "Who is it!?" and they respond with "It's..." and whatever person I gave them. It started out normal. Then, I picked up the Grandfather flashcard and said... "Ok, who can be the Grandfather?" Almost everyone raised their hand. But, then I did a classic Grandpa voice (kind of crackly and really slow) and I said "But, actually- the Grandfather talkssss likKkkee Thiiiiis because he is vvveeerryy olllLLLlllld". They all laughed so hard and there was one daring student in the back who kept his hand up. He is pretty outgoing and I knew he would go for it.

He gets up and goes ALL OUT. It was the best thing and we were all cracking up with him afterwards. Even the teacher, who is usually very serious, was smiling and giggling.

It was fantastic.

1 comment: