Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentine's Day with the Munchkins

First of all, whoever said that the French are the most romantic people in the world forgot to mention that they don't give a damn about Valentine's Day.

I wished a couple of the teachers who I work with a Happy Valentine's Day and they were definitely caught off guard, & I think one of them giggled.
Disappointing.

However, I had a really super Valentine's Day themed class on Monday for my six classes. First, we did our Calendar ritual with the weather - where the new thing is to have a little argument about whether it is "warm" or "cold" out- and I end up putting "cold" and teaching them the word "relatively".

After that, I wrote Valentine's Day on the board and told them how much fun we have with the holiday in the states.

Then on the board, I put up some pretty flash cards that I made to do the poem "Roses are Red". We went through the poem and they told me what they understood. Then they took turns reading each line after me and then each line themselves. It was really cute and I think they liked the poem.

Next, we made Valentines. We first cut a heart by folding a piece of paper in half. We colored it red or pink and we wrote Happy Valentine's Day on it. Then, inside- they wrote the date, To:, I love you!, and From:. For the To: spot, they chose Mother, Father, Brother, or Sister. Some of them of course wrote their little girlfriend or boyfriend but I didn't want to make anyone feel bad by saying they should do that.

Then, they each got a doilie to glue down inside the card and write the poem on.

So adorable.
Also, I learned that Maureen and Hugo are boyfriend/girlfriend, as are Anais and Mael, Lila and Arthur & Celeste and Mathis.

Here is my sample Valentine that I used to show them.
...I like to do this because it gives them inspiration.



All the kids kept asking me when I was going to give my mom the card on Monday and I said she actually isn't getting this card! They said, "But WHY!?" and I had to remind them that my mom lives in the United States of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment